Tuesday, November 9, 2010


Otherwise known as "Delivery Day!"

I woke up Monday, October 25th around 2:00 am in excruciating pain in the lower left portion of my abdomen. I have had a slight pain problem in the same spot throughout the pregnancy. The area where your ligaments stretch as the baby grows, but only on my left side. I could not lay down and the sharp pain would come every so often. I got up to google "contractions" just to make sure these pains weren't contractions. I was convinced that it wasn't a contraction, but I also wanted peace of mind. I guess I thought it would subconsciously help to ease the pain and let me go back to sleep. As I was sitting up with the computer in my lap, the pains seemed to ease up for the most part. I thought I would try to lay down for a little bit before I had to get up and go to work. WRONG! Pains were back as soon as I lay horizontal. I ended up propping myself up on the couch and was able to catch a few more zzz's before it was time to get up and get going for the day.
The whole morning, I felt a little yucky and weak but still didn't think to much of it. Mid-morning I started to have some cramping like one would during their "cycle," but still didn't think much of it. Gabe asked me to call the doctor just to let them know since I am close enough for the baby to come. I left a message, they called me back and I missed the call. They were on lunch, I left another message, never heard, and finally I called back again around 4:00ish and was able to talk to the nurse. By this time my cramps were becoming a little stronger, but silly me wasn't timing them. The nurse said I had two options: 1) Go home, rest, and time the "pains" or 2) Go to the hospital to be monitored. We chose home. Within the hour, my "pains" were becoming more apparent to me that these are in fact contractions and they are coming closer together. Quicker and quicker. Some are more intense than others but all in all they are all fairly painful. Once we hit 7 mins apart, we called the doctor, Gabe packed up the car, our sweet neighbor came over to stay with Brody, and headed out to the hospital. We have not notified any family members at this point since we don't have any real news to share and didn't want anyone to make a trip out here for false labor. I convinced Gabe to call my mom just to give her a heads up, but we didn't need her to do anything just yet. It was probably the tears that made him eventually cave.
(Early Evening) Once we were in our L&D room, they hooked me up to the monitors and saw that I was having real contractions and the nurse said I was "booming them out." Whatever that means? I guess she meant that they were pretty strong. I was dialated to a 3 and the nurse was pretty confident that my doctor would go ahead and admit me to stay and have this baby! Well, she was right. I was given an epidural pretty quick again (thank goodness!) and also pitocin in order to move this process along. My doctor came in around 10:00 pm. She told me to get some rest and she was going to go home and do the same, but that she would see me later. I was checked again close to midnight and the nurse said we were ready to start some practice pushing. By this time, our families have arrived at the hospital. They made a call to my doctor, but this baby couldn't wait. I started practice pushing right at midnight on Tuesday, October 26th and my sweet baby Cash arrived a brief 10 minutes later at 12:10 am (delivered by my L&D nurse, my doctor arrived just after he was born). He weighed 7 pounds 7 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. What a beautiful and healthy baby boy! We are so very blessed! God is good!

Sweet bundle of joy!

Mommy and Baby Cash

Daddy and Baby Cash

Birth stats


Justin and Allison said...

Congrats on your new love. Sounds like labor was easy and fast!!

Jalei & Lane said...

So glad to hear you had an easy delivery. Cash is so handsome!

Paige said...

Great story! It gives me baby fever a little bit.